My teenage son has been playing Minecraft for years. At first, the appeal was in the building, but he soon moved on and found PvP (player versus player) arenas. Earlier this year, he made the leap from Minecraft to the insanely popular game Fortnite, because many of his friends had already moved there. Fast-forward to this week, when he returned from summer camp–only to announce that he had learned that Fortnite was now “irrelevant” and everyone is returning to Minecraft. Cue my parental whiplash.
Things in the gaming world can change quickly. There are some major things happening that likely slipped under your radar, so here’s a quick roundup of some of the highlights.
- Streaming gaming will change the video game industry. Here’s why [CNN Business] ” The companies promise that very soon, through the cloud, it will be possible for many people around the world to play high-end video games on a tablet or phone without the need to lug around a console or PC. “
- Bernie Sanders is about to become a Twitch streamer [PC Gamer] ” Instead, as Recode reports, the Sanders campaign plans on using Twitch alongside Facebook and YouTube to stream up-to-the-moment live videos in which Sanders and his staff discuss his presidential campaign and issues of the day. “
- Twitch will join Amazon Prime Day with giveaways, events and QVC-style live show [TechCrunch] ” Amazon -owned game streaming site Twitch will be participating in Amazon Prime Day this year, with giveaways of free content from Apex Legends and EA Sports games, live-streamed events, and even a live-streamed shopping show.”
- Opera unveils a browser for gaming at E3 2019 [CNN] ” While the RAM and CPU limiter are the most interesting features, Opera smartly integrated Twitch right into the browser. “
From the Ohio Web Library:
- Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 730G processor was built for kick-ass mobile gaming ( HACHMAN, M. (2019). Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 730G processor was built for kick-ass mobile gaming. PCWorld, 37(5), 16–17.)
- Online Gaming: A Virtual Experiment in the Dark Side of Human Nature ( GLYNN, J. (2019). Online Gaming: A Virtual Experiment in the Dark Side of Human Nature. Skeptic, 24(1), 14. )
- Why I Have Zero Interest in Cloud Gaming ( Wilson, J. L. (2019). Why I Have Zero Interest in Cloud Gaming. PC Magazine, 29–32. )